911 Resorts and Beach Ugborodo, Nigeria


The journey to Escravos an oil rich island in Delta State is about two hours 30 minutes from Warri by speed boat. For a first timer, it was initially a chilling adventure. The speed boat was cruising and bopping on top of the water. However as the trip progressed, one got into the rhythm of the ocean, with the cool ocean breeze blowing, the fear turned into excitement.
On the trip were some Nollywood actors and actresses: Segun Arinze, the president of Actors Guild of Nigeria, Tonto Dike, Kalu Ikeagwu, Tony Umez, among others. They were on the trip to invest the proprietor of 911 Resort as patron.
On this oil rich island lies a beach resort that has attracted tourists from far and near. Welcome to 911 Beach and Resort. The resort is facing the Chevron offshore facilities in Escravos. It is a rendezvous for the rich, mighty and famous in the Niger Delta. It is a place where oil workers on the island take time out to have fun.
The resort is built with wood embellished with rural African motif that gives one a sense of being in an authentic African setting. Each room is ensuite and tastefully furnished. It is for the discerning guests.
The resort has also played host to top Nigerian music stars, comedians and celebrated Nollywood actors. The beautiful resort also has names of some governors in the Niger Delta Region both serving and former and other political big wings on its guest list.
Inside the resort is a standard nite club, well furnished rooms and suites, a restaurant and a world class sports bar. The owner of the resort, Ayiri Emami, a well-to do-man, whose major interest is in marine business and politics, told The Nation that the real reason why he decided to invest in tourism is to correct the impression which outsiders have about Warri and Delta State as a whole.
"Most people believe that the only thing that thrives in Warri is kidnapping and we want to correct that impression. I want people to come here and see things for themselves.
"I have about 19 rooms here and I am building additional 40 because the patronage is growing and what I want from government is more security because more people want to come here and see what is happening."
He explained that with the kind of feeling the outside world already have about Niger Delta, it will take a little time before the state fully takes its pride of place as one of the tourist destinations in Nigeria.
"A lot of Warri people have made money but they will go out there and say a different thing. If you call your dog a bad name, other people will do the same. They know that I do not believe in investing outside Warri because there is no place in the world that can not have crisis. There are crises in Lagos, Jos and even in America. Warri is safer than any other place in the world because everybody is security-conscious and it makes it better for investment. I’m making my money here", he said
Besides the resort, which is the only one in the country that is located offshore, Ayiri also owns 911 Suits, 911 mobile studio, 911 editing suites, 911 Mall equipped with underground elevator, cinema and Nite Club. The Mall, which is currently under construction, it was gathered is the first of its kind in Warri and on completion would gulp over N600 million. Ayiri told The Nation that he uses the mobile studio to assist less-privileged musicians in the city and beyond to live their dreams of becoming superstars.
On how he adopted the name 911, Ayiri said: "I got it through Wycliffe; I have a lot of passion for Wycliffe. It’s a security code number in America and if you dial it, you get a quick response. 911 is my own way of responding to the restiveness in Niger Delta. I had a lot of problems with the Americans because of the name. They even refused me visa because of it. I have my own meaning and passion for that name and I made them to understand my reason for adopting it".
Ayiri, who is the chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party in Warri South Local Government Area, also expressed his love for music.
"I have interest in music. It is something that I like and whenever I’m not happy with the performance of my band at the Nite Club, I take up the microphone.
"I have a record label and I have an up-coming artiste who is working with Tuface right now and by next month (March) the album will be out. Maleke is coming on too.
On his relationship with Tuface Idibia whom he recently bought a 2010 model of Range Rover Sports SUV, he has this to say: "Tuface is my very good friend and when my friend is not doing well, I am not happy. At that particular time he was not doing well financially. He was also beset with a lot of scandals and a lot of issues. And everybody seemed to be mocking him and I was not happy about it. Tuface is a very talented person and whatever he puts his hand on works and it is not easy to see such kind of people in our society. So we do not need to kill them."
Ayiri said he is not a militant like some people insinuate and has never killed or kidnapped before.
"When you say militancy, I do like to know what exactly you mean by militancy. Is itbecause I talk and fight for my right? I do not kidnap and I do not kill. I have never been involved in any of those acts but I do not like oppression. And if there is a peaceful protest I will lead. Even if soldiers come I will stay there. Well if that is what you mean by militancy I do not know’’, he explained.
Ayiri who was born with a sliver spoon, said he has never tasted poverty in his life but has always associated himself with street boys because he belongs there.
‘’My father was doing very well and he was 50 years old when he had me. He had a lot of money and everybody knows him, Chief Emami. I have never had it rough in life but rather I created hardship for myself because I am a street boy and I am always on the street. I love to make people happy and it is always painful when I see people suffering’’, he said.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts