CNN host , Reza Aslan fired following Anti-Trump Tweets

CNN has axed another contributor after their criticism of President Trump went too far.
The network announced Friday it has severed ties with author and religious scholar Reza Aslan, the host of the documentary series Believer . Aslan attacked Trump in a series of tweets last week following the London attacks, calling Trump a “piece of s–t,” “an embarrassment to humankind” and “a man baby.” He later apologized, saying, “I lost my cool and responded to him in a derogatory fashion. That’s not like me… I apologize for my choice of words.”
Believer , which followed Aslan as he traveled around and explored different religious traditions across the globe, premiered back in March, and a second season was already in the works. But CNN now says it has “decided not to move forward with production”
on any future episodes. Aslan was also a consulting producer on the just-wrapped HBO drama The Leftovers .
Aslan tweeted out a statement responding to CNN’s decision:

"Obviously I am very disappointed in this decision. Believer means a great deal to me and to the countless viewers it's reached," Aslan said. "Its message of religious tolerance and exploration is extremely important right now. I am deeply grateful to CNN for giving me the opportunity to launch the show and to amplify my voice on their network. I am especially grateful to the legion of people within the Turner organization who worked so hard to make the show a hit series. However, in these politically charged times, the tenor of our nation's discourse has become complicated, and I recognize that CNN needs to protect its brand as an unbiased news outlet. Similarly, I need to honor my voice. I am not a journalist. I am a social commentator and scholar. And so I agree with CNN that it is best that we part ways. I look forward to partnering with another platform in the future to continue to spread my message. I wish CNN all the best."

Comments

Popular Posts